Are you prepared?

Preparedness Pantry Blog Food Storage Analyzer™

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

What have I done ? ? ? ? ?

Actually I know what I've done now, I spent some money while in my pj's.


For quite some time now, I've been watching e-friends learning to spin yarn, beautiful yarn! It finally got to me and I decided to get a drop spindle so I could try spinning in a small way. This is what I ordered,


The kit will let me give spinning on the spindle a try, and hopefully by next summer I will be able to do something I've wanted to do for the past 14 years, pick cotton from the fields after the harvesters go through, then prepare it, dye it, spin it into yarn and crochet or knit something for DH.

People in this generation are used to seeing vegetables grown so we can eat them, but not to seeing a green plant with pretty light lavender flowers that later become a bole of cotton, and know that later on that white bole of cotton is turned into clothing, sheetes, towels, etc. It has always fascinated DH, so I want to make him a gift of a cotton item that he saw go from the plant into the finished product.   Hopefully it will be a gift of wonder~

3 comments:

Crochet Goddess said...

It looks great. I hope you have fun. I hope you had a great Christmas. Happy New Year.

Marie Anne said...

I would love to learn more about the whole process from plant or animal to finished project.

My neighbor is one of the largest sheep farmers in the state and I'd love to snag some wool from him and give it a try, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Stitch 'n Frog said...

Marie Anne - There is a wealth of knowledge in the video's at You Tube. And written instructions on the internet too. I will be using those when it's time to try working with cotton next summer, as the only one in my family who knew how to prepare and spin cotton, was my grandmother who is long passed on.

I figure that if I don't try, I'll never know if I could or could not do it. And believe me, I plan on that being CAN rather than not~:o)

Get that wool and give it a go! While I do not know you, I have a feeling that you will accomplish anything you set out to do! Best of luck to you~